El Paso dad charged with capital murder, killed foster child, police say
(CBS/AP) EL PASO, Texas - Antonio Lopez, a foster parent, is charged with capital murder for the death of an infant in his care, reports CBS affiliate KDBC.
Lopez, 27, was arrested Wednesday, according to local police.
The 11-month-old child, Jayla Beckley, was having trouble breathing and was transported to a hospital on Sunday, police say. She later died.
Further details on who sought help for the child were not released.
The El Paso Crimes Against Children and Crimes Against Persons divisions determined that the circumstances surrounding the child's death were suspicious, according to the El Paso Times.
An autopsy was done, which showed that the baby had blunt force trauma to her abdomen and chest.
Police say that Lopez caused the injuries.
Lopez is being held without bail.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web