Antonio Whitlow, Ark. slaying suspect, diagnosed with schizophrenia after 2007 assault charge
(CBS/AP) LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Antonio Whitlow, an Arkansas man suspected of killing his parents and abducting his 12-year-old sister, was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia five years ago after he was charged with assault.
Court records show a psychologist diagnosed Whitlow with paranoid schizophrenia and borderline intellectual functioning in 2007, but declared him fit for trial. He eventually pleaded guilty to aggravated assault on a family or household member and received probation.
The 33-year-old was arrested Saturday in Memphis, about 135 miles away from where his parents were found slain in their Little Rock home hours earlier. Whitlow's sister was with him and seemed unharmed, Little Rock Police Sgt. Cassandra Davis said Sunday.
The girl is now in the custody of the Arkansas Department of Human Services.
Davis declined to say whether investigators believe the child witnessed her 65-year-old parents, Bobby and Annette Whitlow, get killed. She said she didn't know whether the girl and her brother ever lived with their parents at the same time.
Police say the couple was killed between noon and 3 p.m. Saturday. Officers were called to the home by a fellow church member who had gone to the couple's home to meet Bobby Whitlow and saw Annette Whitlow lying on the living room floor. Officers found Bobby Whitlow dead in the kitchen.
An Amber Alert was issued for the girl and police in Memphis found Antonio Whitlow and his sister walking along Beale Street, in the city's tourism district, at about 10 p.m. Saturday, according to Memphis Police Sgt. Alyssa Macon-Moore.
Police say they expect Whitlow to be brought back to Arkansas to face charges in his parents' deaths.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers