Ann Pettway, Conn. woman, to be sentenced for kidnapping Carlina White and raising her as her own
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Ann Pettway will be sentenced Monday afternoon for snatching a newborn baby from a New York City hospital more than two decades ago and raising the child as her own.
Pettway, 51, pleaded guilty to a kidnapping charge in February and will learn her fate from a Manhattan federal court judge today. As part of Pettway's plea bargain, prosecutors recommended between 10 and 12.5 years in prison.
During her February court appearance, Pettway described how she took a train from her Connecticut home to Harlem Hospital, where she scooped up 3-week-old Carlina White, who had been brought to the emergency room by her parents. She offered no explanation for the 1987 kidnapping.
The case was solved by Carlina herself. As she grew up in Connecticut under another name, the girl became suspicious of her own identity. Pettway told her she had been given away by a drug addict.
Carlina said she browsed the website of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for clues to her identity. After matching a photo of herself with one on the site, she tracked down her birth mother, Joy White, and they reunited in January of 2011. A DNA test confirmed they were mother and child.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide