Daryl Benway, Mass. father, shoots his two children, kills one, then himself in weekend attack, authorities say
(CBS/AP) WORCESTER, Mass. - Daryl Benway, a man who had recently separated from his wife, shot his two children, killing his 7-year-old daughter, before committing suicide, prosecutors said
Benway's brother called police Saturday night after finding the bodies of the 41-year-old father and his daughter, Abigail, Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said. The bodies were found in the master bedroom of their two-story Oxford home.
Owen, Benway's 9-year-old son, was found shot in the head in the kitchen and was taken to UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center in serious condition. Early's spokesman said Sunday that Owen has been in pediatric intensive care. No additional information about his condition was provided.
Unaware of what happened, Benway's wife Kelleen returned home after the shootings and found a swarm of police cruisers and television crews, Early said. She was then taken to the children's hospital, where authorities told her the fates of her children and husband.
Benway's brother Shawn reportedly lived on the first floor of the home with his wife and mother. Shawn Benway called 911 to report the shootings, Early said.
Police couldn't speculate on a motive, Early said. The Benways separated weeks ago, but were still married.
No restraining orders had been filed against Daryl Benway and he had no criminal record, the DA said. He had a gun license that expired in 1999, Early said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"