Margaret Sanchez, suspect in dismember-slay of stripper Jaren Lockhart, held on unrelated charge
(CBS/AP) AMITE, La. - A Louisiana judge has found probable cause to keep Margaret Sanchez, a suspect in the murder and dismemberment of stripper Jaren Lockhart, in custody. Sanchez faces new criminal charges of harboring sex offender Terry Speaks. Both are suspects in Lockhart's killing.
Tangipahoa Parish sheriff's Detective Mike Moore reportedly testified on Tuesday that Sanchez referred to Speaks by two aliases the night of the couple's arrest. Moore also testified that Sanchez told officers she knew Speaks had a history or a warrant in North Carolina.
Sanchez, 28, was charged on June 18 with harboring a sex offender just as she was preparing to be shipped to a mental clinic for an evaluation. Speaks, 39, is now in federal custody for failing to properly register as a sex offender after committing a sex crime in North Carolina. He was convicted of three counts of indecent liberty with a minor in 2003.
The couple had been identified in a surveillance video leaving the Bourbon Street club where dancer Lockhart, 22, worked, around 2 a.m. on June 6. Lockhart's remains floated ashore on several Mississippi beaches, beginning June 7 in Hancock County.
Authorities believe the three knew each other and all worked in the French Quarter.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn