Two suspects are charged in shooting death of Lloyd Morgan, 4, says NYPD
(CBS) NEW YORK - Police charged Rondell Pinkerton, 17, and Courtney Kelly, 26, in the shooting death of 4-year-old Lloyd Morgan, who was caught in crossfire at a Bronx charity event, CBS New York reports.
Pinkerton was charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon early Wednesday morning, according to police. Kelly also faces weapons charges.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Pinkerton admitted firing shots during a charity basketball game on Sunday in a Bronx neighborhood as Lloyd Morgan was playing at a playground nearby, CBS New York reported.
The little boy was caught in the crossfire - shot in the head, and killed.
According to the station, police said at least three guns were involved in the shootout. Investigators recovered shell casings from a .25 caliber handgun, and .380 caliber handgun and a .45 caliber handgun.
"It's obviously a very sad situation," Kelly said.
As police continue their investigation, Lloyd's mother is making funeral plans and preparing to bury her son. A rally and vigil was held late Monday afternoon at the basketball court where Lloyd was killed.
"He wanted to be a basketball player someday and I just feel like, he probably could've been the next basketball player," said Shaniqua Williams, Lloyd's cousin. "But somebody shot him and he will never get that chance."
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released