Lloyd Morgan, 4, killed in crossfire at a charity event, NYC police say
(CBS) NEW YORK - Police are searching for a suspect in the shooting death of 4-year-old Lloyd Morgan, who got caught in crossfire at a charity basketball game in the Bronx, CBS New York reports.
Ironically, the game itself was part of a memorial to another murder victim.
The boy was at a playground in a Bronx neighborhood when a gun battle broke out just after 9: 30 p.m. on Sunday, police said. Lloyd was shot in the head and died at the hospital.
Two men were also shot, a 27-year-old in the stomach and a 21-year-old in the arm. They were both taken to the hospital and are listed in stable condition.
The shooting happened just as about a hundred people gathered at the basketball court next to the playground to pay tribute to another victim of violence, an 18-year-old who was stabbed to death two years ago.
"They have a memorial every year for her. They had it yesterday, it was fine," witness Tyshawn Norris told CBS New York. "It's a horrible situation when you can't enjoy your neighborhood in peace. Your kids can't play. It's crazy."
The investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made and a $12,000 reward is being offered in the case.
"You changed my whole life in an instant and I don't know how I'm supposed to go on," Lloyd's mother Shianne Norman said of the shooter. "I hate these men. You've destroyed me."
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case