Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey: Authorities believe missing Iowa girls are alive
(CBS/AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa - Investigators say they have evidence that leads them to believe two Iowa cousins who vanished last week are still alive.
FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said Saturday that authorities strongly believe 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins have not been killed.
"We believe," Breault said, "these girls are alive and we are not discouraged by the passage of time since their disappearance."
She refused to say what led authorities to that conclusion, but told reporters that investigators are expanding their search beyond Iowa.
The announcement came a day after authorities said they believe the girls were abducted.
Breault also said that while authorities have not received total cooperation from every family member and friend they've spoken to, "the majority of the family has cooperated 100 percent."
The girls vanished July 13 while riding their bikes near Meyers Lake in the northeast Iowa town of Evansdale. Their bikes were later found on a path near the lake.
Breault says investigators are interviewing "persons of interest" in the case, whom she declined to identify.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case