Colorado Theater Shooting: Witnesses describe masked gunman, carnage
"He had a gas mask on so I couldn't see his face," a witness named Jennifer told CBS Denver. "All I smelled was gunpowder in the air and gas was getting to me."
At first, moviegoers didn't know what was happening and some thought the attack was part of the show. Then they saw a silhouette of a person in the smoke at the front of the theater near the screen, pointing a gun at the crowd.
The shooter reportedly sprayed the crowd in Theater 9 with bullets, stopping at least once to reload, according to witnesses. Authorities are now saying that 12 people have been confirmed dead and dozens more were injured in the attack.
"There was this one guy on all fours crawling. There was this girl spitting up blood. There were bullet holes in some people's backs, in some people's arms. There was one guy who was just stripped down to his boxers. It looked like he had been shot in the back or something," Donovan Tate told CBS Denver.
The alleged shooter, 24-year-old James Holmes, was taken into custody soon after the shooting in the parking lot of the Century 16 multiplex.Complete coverage of the Colorado Theater Shooting on Crimesider
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student