Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey: FBI dive team with sonar to search lake for missing Iowa cousins
(CBS/AP) DES MOINES, Iowa - An FBI dive team will be using sonar equipment to search an Iowa lake where the bicycles of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey were found last week in hopes of finding evidence of the girls' disappearance.
FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the team will begin the search at Meyers Lake in Evansdale, Iowa around 6 a.m. Friday. Elizabeth, 8, and her 10-year-old cousin, Lyric, were last seen Friday leaving a house in the Waterloo suburb where their grandmother was watching them.
Authorities stopped draining the lake Thursday because the team's sonar equipment needs at least 6 feet of water to function properly. Prior to the team's involvement, authorities said they would keep draining the lake until Friday.
The dive team is equipped to go into the deepest parts of the lake, which may be as deep as 20 feet.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death