Teed off: Calif. golfer clubs another in dispute on course, say cops
Witnesses told CBS Sacramento that the altercation started when 61-year-old Robert Rappleye Jr. of Elk Grove, and his golfing partners at the Greenhorn Creek course, got angry over the pace of some of the golfers ahead of them last Friday night.
One of those golfers, a 54-year-old man, approached Rappleye and his partners to discuss the matter. One of the female players in the lead group was the man's wife, and he was upset over the language being directed at her.
Angry words turned into physical violence when Rappleye took one of his clubs and struck the man two times, police said. According to the victim and witnesses, the first injury was sustained when the man used his left arm in an attempt to block the club Rappleye swung at him. When Rappleye swung a second time, the other man turned away and exposed his back, and Rappleye reportedly struck him in the upper left shoulder blade, according to CBS Sacramento.
Another witness reported that he attempted to intervene but was threatened by Rappleye, who was still brandishing the golf club. The injured man was treated and released by paramedics on scene.
When Officer Chris Johnson arrived on scene, he found two men still arguing in the parking lot near the pro shop.
Rappleye admitted to striking the other man while they were on the 18th tee, police said. He was booked into the Calaveras County Jail on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon. He was released on bail the next day and scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 7.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.