Philadelphia police officer struck and dragged by car during traffic stop
(CBS) PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - A Philadelphia police officer was struck by a car and dragged for nearly a block during a routine traffic stop on Tuesday night, reports CBS Philly.
The incident occurred shortly before 8 p.m. Officials say that the 26-year-old officer was making the traffic stop, when, for no apparent reason, the driver started to speed up, dragging him nearly a block.
The officer was taken to a nearby hospital, where he is reportedly in stable condition with bumps and bruises to his head, face, both arms and lower body, as well as a broken ankle, according to CBS Philly.
Prior to the incident, the driver had given the officer his license and registration. Without revealing the name, police described the suspect as a light-skinned 27-year-old male who, according to his license, is 6'2" tall and weighs 170 lbs., CBS Philly reported.
Last seen wearing a white tank top and dark-colored cargo shorts, he had multiple tattoos on his arms, shoulders, chest and lower back, according to police.
Officers later found the suspect's black 2011 Ford F150 truck a mile from the scene.
They also found a handgun a block away from where the truck was found. It is not known whether the gun is connected to this case, reported CBS Philadelphia.
Police are searching the suspect's known hangouts, and his last known address in Norristown.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor