Kerry Kennedy was swaying and slurring her speech after car accident, according to police report
Kennedy also allegedly told police she might have accidentally taken a sleeping pill before the accident.
The document, a police officer's deposition, was released several hours before Kennedy was to appear Tuesday night for arraignment on a charge of driving while drug-impaired. Her lawyer said she would plead not guilty.
The officer wrote that Kennedy, 52, failed a standing-on-one-leg test and a walk-and-turn test, was swaying and demonstrated impaired speech and motor function. The document indicates that she was, however, able to recite the alphabet.
Kennedy was arrested Friday after state police said her Lexus struck a tractor-trailer on Interstate 684 north of New York City. Police said she drove the damaged car off the highway before it became disabled.
A witness reported that Kennedy "appeared to be slumped over the wheel," according to the deposition.
Police said an investigation found she was impaired by drugs.
The officer, identified as Officer J. Thomas, wrote that Kennedy told him "she had a thyroid medication and a sleeping medication (believed to be Ambien) and it is possible she took the sleeping pill instead of the thyroid pill."
A spokesman for Kennedy had said Friday that breath, blood and urine tests taken that day revealed no drugs or alcohol in Kennedy's system. The court document said blood and urine tests were not complete.
Kennedy's lawyer, Robert Gottlieb, said he would comment on the police report Tuesday night.
It has been a difficult year for Kennedy family members in the New York suburbs. Kennedy's close friend and sister-in-law, Mary Kennedy, hanged herself at home in May. Her brother Douglas Kennedy is fighting charges stemming from his attempt to take his newborn son from a maternity ward.
Kerry Kennedy and Andrew Cuomo married in 1990, joining two of America's most prominent political families. They split in 2003 in a messy public divorce that played out in the tabloids. They have three daughters.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call