"Witness 9" claims George Zimmerman sexually molested her
According to CBS Miami, investigators from the Duval County State Attorney's Office in Sanford interviewed Witness 9, who contacted Sanford police after the Feb. 26 killing of Trayvon Martin.
Witness 9 told investigators that Zimmerman, who is about two years older than her, had sexually molested her from the age of six up until she was 16 years old, CBS Miami reports.Part of Witness 9's statement had been sealed and Zimmerman's attorney asked the court to keep it that way, saying the witness' accusations were incendiary, irrelevant and would hurt chances for a fair trial, CBS Miami reports.
Seminole County Circuit Judge Kenneth R. Lester disagreed, saying nothing in Florida's public record law allows for such information to be kept secret. By law, evidence the prosecution turns over to the defense -- called "discovery" -- is public record.
Zimmerman is not charged in the alleged molestation. He is on trial for second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Martin, which he claims was in self-defense under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home