Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey: Search resumes for missing cousins, Iowa police say
(CBS/AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa. - Police said Monday they will be renewing efforts to find missing cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, three days after their bicycles were found near a lake in northeast Iowa.
More than 350 volunteers helped search the area around Meyers Lake in Evansdale on Sunday for 8-year-old Elizabeth and her 10-year-old cousin Lyric, who were last seen Friday afternoon. Authorities have been interviewing family, friends and registered sex offenders who live in the area.
Misty Cook-Morrissey reportedly said her daughter Lyric may have tried to swim at the lake, despite the swimming ban. She said the family swims at another nearby lake regularly, and described Lyric as a good swimmer.
Misty's sister, Heather Collins, said it's rare for her daughter Elizabeth to venture too far frome home, but she may have been persuaded by her older cousin.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago