South Carolina Sniper Plot: Bryan Holder and Tyler Schomer arrested for shooting at random citizens, police say
(CBS/AP) SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Two men have been arrested in connection with what a South Carolina sheriff says was a plot to randomly shoot at people and kill them.
Bryan Marion Holder, 20, and Mattison Tyler Schomer, 17, are charged with possession of a weapon during a violent crime and three counts of attempted murder according to Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright.
The two are being held without bond.
Wright said a 19-year-old woman was shot in the back on July 2 with a 30.06 rifle fired from a field near a convenience store. He said the woman was sitting in a car with a man when she was shot.
On the same day, a man was pressure-washing gas pumps when he was shot at. He was not hit.
The Spartanburg Herald Journal reports that according the State Law Enforcement Division, both men have criminal records that include felonies and were prohibited from handling firearms.
According to the newspaper, Sheriff Wright said at a news conference that the two suspects "decided it would be fun to shoot and kill people."
The newspaper reports that Wright said Schomer gave a statement implicating himself and Holder in the shootings, but that Holder has not been cooperative with the police.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Bulger's attorneys grill admitted killer John Martorano
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out