Ohio parents charged with fencing 4-year-old girl in bed, police say
(CBS/AP) LANCASTER, Ohio - The parents of a 4-year-old Ohio girl who authorities say was confined at night in a bed wrapped with steel mesh fencing have been charged with kidnapping and child endangerment.
A judge on Thursday set bond at $500,000 each for 34-year-old Russell Terry and 32-year-old Jamie Curnell. Fairfield County Sheriff Dave Phalen said the kidnapping charge involved "unlawful restraint" of the child.
Deputies found the cage-like contraption when they were responding to a domestic violence call from the family's home in central Ohio, Phalen said Thursday. The steel wire surrounded the lower bunk bed where the girl slept, and a door had been fashioned into the steel fence. It had a screen-door hook and a sliding dead bolt on the outside.
Phalen said the girl was not in the bed at the time, but that when deputies questioned the parents about the fencing, they told them they confined the girl in her bed at night to keep her from getting up.
"Aside from the concern about psychological damage from the child being kept in a cage-type setting, there is also the concern that in a fire or another emergency the child couldn't get out," Phalen said.
The girl and an 8-month-old sibling were removed from the home and were in the custody of the county's child protective services, according to the sheriff.
He described the home as "filthy, without even a sheet on the girl's bed."
County Prosecutor Gregg Marx said his office is considering additional charges and expects to present the case to a grand jury this month.
Pleasantville is about 40 miles southeast of Columbus.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death