$98 million of cocaine seized in Hong Kong's biggest ever coke bust
(CBS/AP) HONG KONG - About 1,430 pounds of cocaine worth about $98 million in US dollars was seized in Hong Kong, making it the city's biggest ever cocaine bust, Chinese customs officers said Friday.
Head of the city's Customs Drug Investigation Bureau John Lee said the drugs arrived in a shipping container from Ecuador to Hong Kong's port. Lee said he believed most of the shipment was destined for Southeast Asia or mainland China.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration had to flag the container, which was one of a batch, to Hong Kong officials for further inspection. Customs officers discovered the drugs after following the shipment on Wednesday when it was driven from the port to a collection point in Hong Kong's rural New Territories. It was then picked up by two men, who authorities believed were members of a local drug syndicate.
When the officers inspected the shipment, they found 541 bricks of cocaine hidden in laurel wood. The two men and their driver were arrested.
Lee said Hong Kong's customs department was working with the U.S. DEA and South American law enforcement agencies this year to combat drug trafficking.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case