Beer in 2-year-old's sippy cup gets Phoenix mom arrested
Authorities in Phoenix agree, and so a woman who allegedly put beer in her 2-year-old son's sippy cup was arrested and charged with child abuse, according to CBS affiliate KPHO.
A witness called police and told them she saw Valerie Topete pour beer from a pitcher into the infant's cup and place it in front of the child on Tuesday. The witness told police the boy later fell from his seat, leading her to believe the child was intoxicated.
Officers said the cup had about 4 ounces of liquid with foam on the surface and a distinct odor of alcohol.
Topete told police her son had been grasping for the pitcher and that she had put a "splash of beer" into her son's cup that contained apple juice, according to police. She told them it was "reverse psychology" to stop him from grabbing at the pitcher.
Oh, now we get it.
The apparently misguided mother is facing one count of child abuse.
The boy was taken to Chandler Hospital as a precaution.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks