Beer in 2-year-old's sippy cup gets Phoenix mom arrested
Authorities in Phoenix agree, and so a woman who allegedly put beer in her 2-year-old son's sippy cup was arrested and charged with child abuse, according to CBS affiliate KPHO.
A witness called police and told them she saw Valerie Topete pour beer from a pitcher into the infant's cup and place it in front of the child on Tuesday. The witness told police the boy later fell from his seat, leading her to believe the child was intoxicated.
Officers said the cup had about 4 ounces of liquid with foam on the surface and a distinct odor of alcohol.
Topete told police her son had been grasping for the pitcher and that she had put a "splash of beer" into her son's cup that contained apple juice, according to police. She told them it was "reverse psychology" to stop him from grabbing at the pitcher.
Oh, now we get it.
The apparently misguided mother is facing one count of child abuse.
The boy was taken to Chandler Hospital as a precaution.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls