Jennifer Aniston movie ruse lures deadbeat dad home to arrest, guilty plea
But the promise was bogus - just a ruse to get Joshua Garlathy to return home, where he owes tens of thousands of dollars in back child support.
Yes, this is one thick plot.
Garlathy pleaded guilty Tuesday to willful failure to pay child support, more than a month after he was arrested when his flight from Hawaii landed in Philadelphia. He was nabbed under a new law making it a crime to move out of Pennsylvania to avoid paying child support.
Garlathy was lured back home on May 22 after accepting a role in a phony romantic comedy that the "producer" - actually, nationally known bounty hunter Scott Bernstein - claimed would feature Aniston, according to the Allentown Morning Call newspaper.
Garlathy, an out-of-work musician, would play a small part as a guitar-strumming bad guy named Dirty Nick in a movie called "Banished in Brooklyn," a film about bank robbers, the paper reported.
Although wanted on the warrants, Garlathy hopped on a plane in Hawaii and headed to Pennsylvania with dreams of appearing on the big screen.
The plot had originated with Garlathy's ex-girlfriend, Beth Ann Holderman, who had tracked her ex for years during a 19-year quest to have Garlathy pay up.
"He always wanted to be famous," Holderman said. "Now he's famous," she told the Allentown Morning Call.
When Garlathy was arrested at the Philadelphia International Airport in May, a film crew was rolling. Not for a movie, but for Bernstein's pilot for a reality TV show on deadbeat parents. Garlathy's guitar, saxophone and cash he borrowed from a roommate in Hawaii were confiscated by authorities, the newspaper reported.
Upon pleading guilty Tuesday, Garlathy was ordered to pay more than $32,000 in back child support, and sentenced to 90 days of probation.
And no, Jennifer Aniston is not his friend.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase