Kathryn Murray, Houston middle school teacher, faces more charges for sex with 15-year-old student, police say
(CBS) HOUSTON - New charges were filed against Kathryn Murray, a west Houston middle school teacher who was already accused of having sex with a 15-year-old student last winter, CBS affiliate KHOU reports.
Murray, 29, was arrested and charged with sexual abuse of a child in February. Two more counts of sexual abuse of a child and one count of improper relations with a student were added against Murray on Monday.
The eighth-grade teacher was initially accused of having sex with the boy at his home on Feb. 11 while his parents were away. Now police are saying Murray had sex with the same boy at a hotel on the night of a school dance and in her classroom in Memorial Middle School on two separate occasions.
Murray was removed from the classroom and let go from her position after the initial investigation.
"The alleged conduct of Murray is shocking and outrageous, and will never be tolerated in our school district," Spring Branch Independent School District spokesperson Steve Brunsman said in a statement.
Spring Branch ISD Police Chief Chuck Brawner said Murray's alleged actions will never be tolerated by law enforcement and he is confident the case will lead to a conviction.
"We have a victim and it's our student. And it's not only the victim who's affected, but it's every student that goes to that school," Brawner said. "What this teacher has done is violate the trust parents place in teachers."
Murray, who attended both Memorial Middle and Memorial High School growing up, taught at Memorial Middle for three years as a Language Arts teacher.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call