19 children allegedly left alone in hot Ky. home for a week, mom arrested
(CBS/AP) BOWLING GREEN, KY - Police found 19 kids and 10 pets in a hot, filthy home Monday night, after they'd been left home for a week, CBS affiliate WKYT reported.
The mother of some of the children was arrested.
A neighbor, Annie Adams, heard cries from the house. Knowing more than a dozen children were living there, and that the couple, Irving Smith and Jackie Farah, had left the children alone in the past, she called the police, according to WKYT.
"I did hear babies crying and I knew there were no adults. And myself and my husband, we have four boys. And all I could think about was my four boys," Adams told WKYT.
When police arrived, they told WKYT that it was 90 degrees inside, and the children had been living on top of carpets covered in dog feces.
Detective Tim Robinson, of the Warren County's Sherriff's Department, told WKYT that there had been a family emergency. There had been a caretaker, but the couple led her "to believe that just a couple of kids were there, some older teens that could watch the younger children would be there."
The children were treated at a hospital and placed in state custody.
Farah returned from Chicago on Tuesday and was arrested and charged with 14 counts of criminal abuse and five counts of wanton endangerment for allegedly leaving the children home alone, reported the Bowling Green Daily News. She is currently being held without bond.
Police say that they're looking for others to be brought in for questioning.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead