Luka Magnotta Dismember Slay Case: Head found at Montreal park belongs to victim Jun Lin, police say
(CBS/AP) MONTREAL -Police confirmed Wednesday that a human head found at a Montreal park last weekend did indeed belong to Chinese student Jun Lin, who was allegedly killed and dismembered by porn actor Luka Magnotta in May.
Magnotta, 29, is accused of dismembering his former lover Lin, 33, and mailing the body parts to Canadian political parties and schools. He pleaded not guilty to murder charges last month.
Montreal police spokesperson Anie Lemieux said investigators found the head Sunday in Park Angrignon after the major crimes unit received a tip. The park is a few miles south of Magnotta's apartment.
"It had been there for quite some time, but we won't go into details, partly out of respect for the family and friends of the victim," said Lemieux. "What is important is what we were looking for has been found and the rest of the investigation can continue."
Police now believe that they have recovered all of Lin's remains, according to Montreal police spokesman Robert St-Onge.
Lin's family arrived in Montreal last month and attended a memorial service last week. Lin studied computer science at Montreal's Concordia University.
Magnotta was caught on June 4 as he read stories about himself at an Internet café in Berlin. He did not contest his extradition from Germany and arrived in Montreal about two weeks later on a Canadian military plane. He opted for a jury trial and is expected to have a preliminary hearing next march.
Along with a first-degree murder charge, Magnotta is charged with defiling Lin's corpse. He is also charged with harassing Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and members of Parliament, and publishing and mailing obscene material.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web