Boy, 3, missing, blood found in Memphis father's bathroom, police say
(CBS/AP) MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Memphis police say they found blood in the home of a man charged in his 3-year-old son's disappearance.
The boy, Maurice Brown Jr., remained missing Tuesday morning. Maurice Brown Sr. was charged with child neglect and endangerment.
Brown told police he napped for about two hours Sunday night and woke up to find a door open and his son gone.
Brown told police that gang members took his son to retaliate against him, local station WMC-TV reports.
According to CBS affiliate WREG, a witness told police Brown left the apartment with a child draped over his shoulder at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday. The witness said the child was Maurice Jr.
A police affidavit stated the blood evidence found in the bathroom of the apartment was consistent with a beating and there is reason to believe the child was seriously injured.
The boy's mother, who lives in Arkansas, drove to Memphis when she heard he was missing, WREG reports. She had last seen him in May, when she said she dropped him off with his father for the summer.
"I was devastated. I was shocked. I couldn't even believe that my son was gone," LaToya Kaeneh reportedly said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15