Wing-eating champion Bill Simmons, jailed on drug charges, turns advocate for nonviolent offenders
Simmons, 50, known for winning five Philadelphia Wing Bowl chicken-wing eating titles, was arrested after police say they found a total of $8,000 worth of cocaine in two of his homes, and $4,000 cash, according to NJ.com. He was charged with first degree cocaine distribution, which carries a sentence of up to 10 years in jail.
He issued a statement following his release, apologizing to his family, friends and fans.
"This isn't me. This isn't my style. I messed up big time and I give my sincerest apologies to anyone I have hurt by my actions," Simmons said.
During Simmons' ten days in jail, he saw firsthand the impact "hard time for nonviolent offenders has on these young kids facing long sentences, giving them no chance at rehabilitation or of ever leading normal, productive lives," he explained in his statement.
Simmons also said how it really struck him "that there are thousands of kids in jails all around the country serving really stiff sentences for nonviolent offenses and no one seems to care."
He told NJ.com that "everybody should spend a week in jail. It really touched me being in there. It humbled me."
'El Wingador' is free just in time to compete in a July 4 eating contest, if he so chooses.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"