Stephan Hudson, New York City teacher, seen on video getting into scuffle with student
(CBS/WCBS) NEW YORK - A New York high school student's mother says she is outraged after seeing a video of her son being manhandled by one of his teachers during an altercation.
The incident began as 15-year-old Kristof John, who was running late, raced into his building at Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in Brooklyn, CBS New York reports. After the teen's security card failed to work, he moved to go through anyway and that's when teacher Stephan Hudson reportedly stepped in.
In the surveillance video, Hudson appears to grab the boy by the arm, yank him around, and pull him towards a table as the teen fights against the larger man. After much tussling, John ends up on the ground.
Diane John, the boy's mother, told CBS New York she was told that her son had started the whole thing.
The boy's mother told the station she asked her son, "How come what you're saying to me and what they're saying to me is not adding up?" Her son replied, "Mom there is a video, if you see the video, you're going to believe me."
John says she finally saw the surveillance footage on Tuesday.
According to CBS New York, the Department of Education said in a statement that "the teacher was found to have engaged in corporal punishment and was disciplined." They would not say how Hudson was disciplined.
The mother reportedly said the boy suffered from a sore back. She transferred him out of the school and the boy now lives with his aunt in Grenada.
Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said there would be a thorough investigation, CBS New York reports.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison