Same-Sex Teen Couple Shot: Police say no evidence that "bias" was the motive
"A motive in this case has not been established," said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright in a statement released Tuesday.
Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, and Mary Kristene Chapa, 18, were found lying in a grassy area of a Portland park around 9 a.m. Saturday morning. Both had been shot and Olgin was pronounced dead at the scene, but Chapa, who was shot in the head, was still alive. She was transferred to the hospital and is now in stable condition, according to the statement.
"Information from family and friends indicates that Mollie and Mary were engaged in a same-sex relationship," Wright said in the statement.
However, Wright told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times that there is "no evidence to suggest that this crime was committed as a bias against the girls or their lifestyle."
Chapa has not yet been formally interviewed about the crime because of her condition, the statement said.
The statement also revealed that a large caliber shell casing was found near where the young women were discovered, and that two witnesses reported hearing what they thought were either gunshots or firecrackers just before midnight on Friday, June 22.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15