Calif. man strangling baby is subdued by cop's choke hold outside Calif. Walmart
(CBS) CITRUS HEIGHTS, Calif. - Citrus Heights police subdued and arrested 32-year-old Daniel Graf for attempted murder, after he allegedly tried to strangle his 3-month-old baby at a Walmart parking lot, CBS Sacramento reports.
Graf wanted to see his child and met with his estranged wife Friday night at a local Walmart where the two began arguing about child custody arrangements, police said.
A police officer arrived when Graf's wife called for help. When the officer began speaking to Graf the father got angry, threatened to kill his child and then began strangling the baby, police said.
The officer applied a department-approved "carotid restraint control hold" - i.e. choke hold - on Graf, that rendered him unconscious. The infant was rescued and taken to a local hospital for medical treatment, and is expected to recover.
Graf was also taken to a hospital. Then he was arrested for multiple charges including attempted murder, driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license.
Police took Graf to the Sacramento County Jail, where he is being held without bail.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese