Report: Jerry Sandusky wants out of isolation cell, says "I am going to go nutty"
According to Sara Ganim of the Harrisburg Patriot-News, attorney Karl Rominger was the former Penn State assistant coach's first visitor in the Centre County Jail. Ganim reports that Rominger told her no other visitors have been allowed to see Sandusky while he awaits a psychological evaluation.
"He's anxious to be able to move around," Rominger said. "His exact quote to me: 'I don't think I'm suicidal. I'm dealing with this but if I have to sit around in this cell for a few more days, I am going to go nutty.' "
Ganim won a Pulitzer Prize for her reporting on the Penn State sex abuse scandal.
Rominger, who worked with attorney Joe Amendola on Sandusky's defense, also told the reporter that he is preparing for an appeal on behalf of his client. The appeal, Ganim reports, will be based in part on the massive amount of information Rominger said the defense received just prior to the start of the trial.
"Within the month of May, you'll see we received 1,700 pages of discovery," he said. "Plus 700 in the couple of days (leading up to trial)."
"There's no reason the government couldn't have presented it a lot sooner," he said. "One of the things were piles of police reports, people they spoke to who denied being victims. How are we supposed to run all those people down and talk to them?"
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase