Report: Jerry Sandusky wants out of isolation cell, says "I am going to go nutty"
According to Sara Ganim of the Harrisburg Patriot-News, attorney Karl Rominger was the former Penn State assistant coach's first visitor in the Centre County Jail. Ganim reports that Rominger told her no other visitors have been allowed to see Sandusky while he awaits a psychological evaluation.
"He's anxious to be able to move around," Rominger said. "His exact quote to me: 'I don't think I'm suicidal. I'm dealing with this but if I have to sit around in this cell for a few more days, I am going to go nutty.' "
Ganim won a Pulitzer Prize for her reporting on the Penn State sex abuse scandal.
Rominger, who worked with attorney Joe Amendola on Sandusky's defense, also told the reporter that he is preparing for an appeal on behalf of his client. The appeal, Ganim reports, will be based in part on the massive amount of information Rominger said the defense received just prior to the start of the trial.
"Within the month of May, you'll see we received 1,700 pages of discovery," he said. "Plus 700 in the couple of days (leading up to trial)."
"There's no reason the government couldn't have presented it a lot sooner," he said. "One of the things were piles of police reports, people they spoke to who denied being victims. How are we supposed to run all those people down and talk to them?"
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case