Ten-year-old Mo. girl weighing 32 pounds found locked in closet, police say
(CBS/AP) KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas City woman is scheduled to appear in court Monday after police responding to an anonymous tip found her malnourished 10-year-old daughter locked in a closet that reeked of urine.
Police freed the girl Friday in response to a call from a child abuse hotline. They say she weighed just 32 pounds; less than half of what the she should weigh at her age, according to CBS affiliate KCTV. The child has been hospitalized but her condition hasn't been released.
The Jackson County prosecutor's office says the 29-year-old mother is set to be arraigned on charges of assault, child abuse and endangerment.
A probable cause statement says the mother told police she didn't let the girl leave the house because the child is malnourished and that she would "get in trouble if someone saw her."
The girl, who was taken to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, told detectives she gets in trouble "because she keeps peeing on herself."
The woman's boyfriend has been questioned but is not charged in the case. He is not the father of the 10-year-old, but is the father of the woman's two younger children, who are now in protective custody.
Neighbors told the Associated press that the woman's other daughters, ages 2 and 8, were clean, happy and, if anything, "spoiled."
"We are all still shocked," neighbor Aishah Coppage, 28, said Sunday. "We never knew there was a third child."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship