Jacqueline Toro-Williams, Ohio woman, forced young daughter into prostitution, police say
Toro-Williams allegedly forced the girl, who was between 11 and 12 years old at the time, to engage in sexual favors for money for more than a year before she ran away, according to police.
The Akron mother is facing felony charges of compelling prostitution and promoting prostitution. She is being held on $100,000 bond.
Capt. Daniel Zampelli of the Akron Police Department told MSNBC that Toro-Williams began forcing the girl into prostitution in 2007.
The girl, whose name has not been released, reportedly confided to an acquaintance about the abuse and the person helped her run away to Mexico in 2008. The girl stayed there with relatives of the acquaintance for four years, Zampelli said.
Zampelli said the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children received a tip in October 2011 that the girl was in Mexico. The center worked with the girl to get her to the U.S. Embassy and she was returned to Akron last February.
Once the girl returned to Ohio, she told police about her mother and the prostitution, Zampelli said. The girl is now 16 and living with a foster family.
"This is very unusual for our small northeastern Ohio town," Zampelli told MSNBC. "We have runaways, we have prostitution, but to have a mother force a child is very unusual."
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: NY teacher admits sex with student, avoids jail