Luka Rocco Magnotta Case: DNA confirms body parts mailed to schools belong to Jun Lin, police say
(CBS/AP) TORONTO - DNA results confirm that the body parts mailed to two Vancouver schools last week belong to 33-year-old Chinese student Jun Lin, who was allegedly killed and dismembered by 29-year-old Canadian porn actor Luka Rocco Magnotta, Montreal police said.
Montreal police Cmdr. Ian Lafreniere said Wednesday that the foot and hand mailed to two schools last week matched with Lin's DNA. His head is still missing.
Magnotta is suspected of killing Lin and posting a video online that shows him having sex with the dismembered corpse. He also allegedly mailed Lin's other foot and hand to two of Canada's top political parties in Ottawa.
The porn actor was caught in Berlin last week and ordered on Wednesday by the Berlin court to be held in pre-extradition custody as his likely return to Canada edges closer.
Berlin state court spokesman Tobias Kaehne said the court decided there was enough evidence to keep Magnotta behind bars pending extradition. Berlin state prosecutors' spokesman Martin Steltner said prosecutors must now formally request that the German Justice and Foreign Ministries to sign off on the extradition.
Magnotta said he will not fight extradition but authorities said it could be up to two weeks before they finally return Magnotta to Canada, where he faces charges of murder, defiling a corpse and using the mail system for delivering "obscene, indecent, immoral or scurrilous" material, reported The Associated Press.
Meanwhile, Lin's family is calling for the suspect to be extradited back to Canada as soon as possible so that justice can be done and bring consolation to the family.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker