Jerry Sandusky Trial: Janitor and "Victim 5" testify about alleged shower assaults
(CBS/AP) BELLEFONTE, Pa. - Testimony in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse trial ended today with the judge allowing hearsay testimony from a janitor who said his co-worker told him he saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy in a Penn State locker room shower in 2000.
Judge John Cleland also told the court that he anticipated the prosecution would wrap up its case by Friday.
On Wednesday afternoon, a fourth man, known as "Victim 5" testified that when he was 12 or 13, Sandusky exposed himself to him in a Penn State locker room sauna and sexually assaulted him in the shower right afterward.
The man said he met Sandusky through his charity, The Second Mile, when he was in the fifth grade. He testified that he was referred to in order to gain English skills because his family did not speak English at home. At first, the man testified, he didn't think Sandusky's attentions - like putting his hand on the boy's knee in the car - were inappropriate.
"My father used to squeeze my knee, so it was nothing unusual," he testified.
The man testified that Sandusky called his home in 2001 and asked his mother if he could go work out with him. He said the two went to the PSU gym and it was there that Sandusky exposed himself in the sauna. Afterward, he testified, the two went to the showers where the witness chose a spigot at the far end and tried to face the wall but that he felt Sandusky watching him.
"I noticed that his penis was enlarged but I didn't understand the significance of it back then," he said, sniffling.
"He threw some soap at me and started lathering my shoulders," he continued. " I think he crept forward a little bit more. I felt his body on my back and kept lurching forward. I felt his penis on my back and I kind of turned away and I felt his arm move on me. He touched my genitalia. He took my hand and he placed it on his."
The witness testified that Sandusky was "upset with me" and drove him home. He said he kept silent about the incident until telling a girlfriend last year.
After Victim 5 testified, the prosecution played a recording of a Bob Costas interview of Sandusky which aired on NBC's "Rock Center" in November 2011.
In the interview, Sandusky denies sexually abusing the boys, saying, "I enjoy young people, I love to be around them. No, I am not sexually attracted to young boys."
The final witness to testify was Ronald Petrosky, a Penn State janitor, who told the court that he was doing his nightly cleaning when he saw "two pairs of legs" in the shower. He said he waited for them to leave to finish cleaning and was then approached by his co-worker, Jim Calhoun.
According to PennLive.com, Calhoun is currently in the hospital suffering from dementia and thus unable to testify. After some back and forth between the prosecution and the defense, Judge Cleland allowed Petrosky to testify as to what Calhoun told him he saw that night.
"I could tell he was upset," testified Petrosky. He told the court that Calhoun told him he had seen Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy, known as "Victim 8."
Petrosky also told the court that he saw Sandusky and a boy leave the locker room the same night, both with wet hair, reports PennLive.
Tom Kline, the lawyer for one of the alleged victims, told reporters outside the courthouse: "It's just remarkable how many children one man can shower with."
Additional reporting by CBS News' Paula Reid in Bellefonte, Pa.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days