So. Calif. youth pastor Oscar Duncan shot dead, suspect pleads not guilty to murder
(CBS/KCBS) VENICE, Calif. - A suspected gang member pleaded not guilty to murder Tuesday in connection to the fatal shooting last week of 23-year-old youth minister Oscar Duncan.
According to CBS Los Angeles, the murder charge against 28-year-old Kevin Dwayne Green includes gun use and street gang allegations, the District Attorney's Office says. He was also charged with a separate count of second-degree robbery that allegedly occurred May 21 and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Hopeton Beresford Parsle, 22, was reportedly arrested Monday along with Green but it is unclear what charges he will face and when he will be arraigned.
Duncan, a youth minister with the Boys and Girls Club of Venice, was shot to death June 4, CBS Los Angeles reports. He was standing with his girlfriend in front of a residence on the 600 block of Santa Clara Avenue when a white, older-model car with several male occupants pulled up at around 10:30 p.m.
"There was an exchange of words and one shot was fired, striking the victim," Los Angeles Police Lt. Marco Munoz of the Pacific Station reportedly said.
Authorities said the shooters yelled a gang name as one of them fired the gun that killed the 23-year-old, the Los Angeles Times reports.The newspaper says Duncan was homecoming king and football captain at Venice High School.
Police said Duncan was not in a gang and had no criminal history.
Prosecutors plan to ask that Green's bail be set at $2 million, CBS Los Angeles reports.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths