Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard likely escaped home before raid, cops say
(CBS/AP) MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Montgomery's police chief says authorities believe Desmonte Leonard, wanted in the killing of three people at a party near Auburn University, was in the Montgomery home they searched, but was able to get out by the time officers arrived.
Police Chief Kevin Murphy said a woman walked into the house late Monday, saw a man believed to be Leonard sitting on her sofa, and left to call 911.
Officials said it could have been 15 to 20 minutes before officers arrived and they believe he was gone before they got there. They searched the home, but found nothing.
Murphy said police are looking for a person who reportedly dropped Leonard off at the house.
Leonard, 22, is charged with three counts of capital murder in a shooting Saturday night during a pool party at the University Heights apartments. He allegedly fatally shot three people and wounded three others.
More on Crimesider:
June 12, 2012 - Auburn Shooting: SWAT team sent into home looking for suspect Desmonte Leonard
June 11, 2012 - Auburn Shooting: Manhunt underway for suspect Desmonte Leonard, Ala. police say
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender