Woman finds possible pair of lungs on LA County sidewalk, police say
(CBS/KCBS) LOS ANGELES - Authorities say a woman in Los Angeles County found what appeared to be a set of lungs lying on a sidewalk. According to CBS Los Angeles, the woman made the grisly discovery Sunday afternoon in an unincorporated area of the county near Compton.
She reportedly took a picture of what she found and contacted the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department that evening.
The coroner and crime lab responded to collect the lungs and any other evidence, said Lt. Jack DeMello of the sheriff's Century Station, reports CBS Los Angeles
Blood and tissue samples will reportedly be used to determine if the lungs are human or animal.
DeMello says the woman's call was the only one the department received about the organ, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"It was right there on the sidewalk at the start of a driveway," DeMello reportedly said. "You'd think someone would see someone throw it out there."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered