Auburn Shooting: Manhunt underway for suspect Desmonte Leonard, Ala. police say
(CBS/AP) AUBURN, Ala. - Authorities are now searching for 22-year-old Desmonte Leonard, the man suspected of killing three people and wounding three others in a weekend shooting at a pool party near Auburn University. Two of the slain victims were former players for the school's powerhouse football program.
Leonard faces three counts of capital murder after he allegedly opened fire Saturday night at an apartment complex, reportedly in a fight with some of the victims over a woman.
A witness at the party said he and a friend were approached by two other men who started arguing with them about a woman. The witness said punches were thrown and then one of the attackers pulled a gun and started shooting, killing his friend while wounding others.
Erick Mack , one of the wounded victims, is a junior offensive lineman at Auburn who played five games last season. Coach Gene Chizik said Mack was expected to recover.
The slain victims were Edward Christian, an offensive lineman who left last season while dealing with a back injury, and Ladarious Phillips, a backup fullback who had previously quit playing football.
"Nobody should ever have to endure such unimaginable grief, and we will love and support the victims' families during this terribly difficult time," Chizik said. "We have a lot of people on our football team that are hurting right now and we're going to do everything we can to help them get through this."
Police said they don't believe the shooting had anything to do with some of the victims being former or current players on the football team, which won the national championship in 2010. Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said Leonard fled the scene in a white Chevrolet that he abandoned on the way back to Montgomery, about 55 miles away.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case