Arthur "The Brain" Rachel stole Marlborough Diamond in 1980, going back to prison
A federal judge Thursday sentenced Rachel to 8 1/2 years in prison for his role in several unrelated robberies in recent years. Rachel told the court he and his cohorts were bored and had nothing better to do.
Before the sentencing, Judge Harry Leinenweber had asked the 73-year-old why he got involved in planning more robberies after spending so much of his life in prison.
Rachel and an accomplice staged a daring daytime theft of the 45-carat Marlborough Diamond in 1980. They began serving 15-year prison terms in 1984 and were released in 1993.
The diamond was never recovered.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths