Florida woman Nioshka Bello gets life in prison for strangling her 2-year-old daughter
(CBS/AP) SANFORD, Fla. - A central Florida woman was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for strangling her 2-year-old daughter with a bra.
A judge sentenced Nioshka Bello, 24, immediately after a jury found her guilty of first-degree murder in the death of young Janessa Sandoval.
Authorities say Bello strangled the toddler in September 2009 in a Casselberry home. Bello had argued with the child's father and believed that she would be left homeless the next day. Bello was taken into custody several days after the toddler's death.
CBS affiliate WKMG reports Bello spent months in a state mental hospital after being found incompetent to stand trial, but a judge reviewed medical reports last November and ruled that Bello was well enough to proceed.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"