Luka Rocco Magnotta Case: Family of dismembered man Jun Lin arrives in Canada to claim his remains
(CBS/AP) TORONTO - The family of Jun Lin, the 33-year-old university student allegedly slain and dismembered by Canadian porn actor Luka Rocco Magnotta, arrived in Montreal Tuesday to collect his remains and meet with authorities.
According to CTV News, Lin's parents met with police investigators and officials at Concordia University, where he was studying.
Yan Shi, the head of the Chinese student association at the university, reportedly told The Canadian Press that when he saw Lin's mother "she was crying all the time. It's really terrible just being there. We didn't understand a word she was saying, she was crying a lot."
Last week parts of Lin turned up in parcels mailed to Canada's two main political parties. A torso was found in a suitcase on a garbage dump in Montreal, outside the apartment building where he is thought to have been killed. Police reported that what looked like a foot and hand, separately mailed to two Vancouver schools and discovered Tuesday, are thought to be linked to the case.
A copy of what police believe is the video of the killing shows a bound, blindfolded man naked on a bed being stabbed to death with an ice pick, then dismembered.
Investigators suspect the 29-year-old Magnotta of committing the murder and posting the video online. He was caught at a cafe in Berlin. Montreal police say he and Lin were dating but no reference to the suspect has yet been found in Lin's extensive online postings.
"I don't know under what circumstances they knew each other, but for someone to target him, I never would have thought this," said Zoya De Frias Lakhany, who was Lin's friend and fellow student at Concordia University.
Lin was a shy, straight-A computer student - "so nice, humble and honest," said De Frias Lakhany, 21. "He was really involved in his studies and never missed class."
Friends and strangers have lit virtual candles on Lin's blog. A Facebook page dedicated to Lin features photos of him traveling and posts demanding swift justice for Magnotta. Authorities say the suspect flew to Paris shortly after the killing and spent several days partying and evading police before his arrest in Berlin.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles