Shannon Cooper said S.C. police arrested her for cheering during her daughter's graduation
(CBS/WPDE-TV) FLORENCE, S.C. - South Carolina police arrested Shannon Cooper on Saturday for cheering and screaming when her daughter received her diploma from South Florence High School, ABC affiliate WPDE-TV reports.
Cooper said she was cheering as her daughter Iesha, 18, walked across the stage to get her diploma when just minutes later, police walked her across the Florence Civic Center where the graduation ceremony was held, in front of everyone.
"I can't argue with the police, but I'm like are you serious? I didn't do any more than the others did." Cooper told the station. "I feel like no one should have went to jail."
Cooper was charged with disorderly conduct.
Police said it was announced before the ceremony that anyone who cheered or screamed would be escorted out of the building. Although they wouldn't discuss individual cases, they said people were arrested if they got disorderly.
"How was I so disorderly, you know, any different from just a happy parent?" Cooper said. "I didn't resist arrest, nothing."
Iesha said she didn't know what was going on until friends told her that her mother was being arrested.
"I was like, that isn't right because other people was cheering and they didn't lock them up," said Iesha.
Cooper said she waited in a police van parked outside the civic center for about 45 minutes until officers took her to the Florence County Detention Center. She was booked there for several hours until posting a $225 bond.
Cooper said what should have been one of the happiest days in her life was actually one of the worst.
"Yesterday can't be replaced," said Iesha. "My mama went to jail on my graduation day."
WPDE-TV reports that mother and daughter did celebrate the graduation Sunday afternoon with a family barbeque and cake.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case