T.J. Lane indicted in Ohio's Chardon High School shooting that killed three
(CBS/AP) CLEVELAND - T.J. Lane, the 17-year-old accused of fatally shooting three students and wounding three others at Chardon High School in February, has been charged with three counts of aggravated murder, according to an indictment released Tuesday.
The indictment was returned by a Geauga County grand jury against Lane in the Feb. 27 attack at the Ohio school, located about 30 miles east of Cleveland.
A judge ruled last month that Lane must be tried as an adult. Lane could face life in prison if convicted.
He was indicted on three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault. No motive has been established.
An arraignment for Lane was scheduled for Friday in Chardon.
Minors are not eligible for the death penalty in Ohio. Had his case been routed to juvenile court, the maximum possible penalty would have kept him jailed until he turned 21.
The judge who sent the case to adult felony court rejected a defense request to release Lane on a $500,000 bond and said Lane would pose a risk to flee and a safety risk to the community.
A psychiatrist who examined Lane testified earlier that Lane sometimes loses touch with reality and suffers from hallucinations, psychosis and fantasies.
Lane attended an alternative school for students who haven't done well in traditional schools; he had been at Chardon waiting for a bus.
Prosecutor David Joyce said Lane has admitted taking a .22-caliber pistol and a knife to the high school and firing 10 shots at a group of students sitting at a cafeteria table at the start of the school day.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death