Family of kidnap-slaying suspect Adam Mayes refuses to claim his body
(CBS/AP) MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Mississippi officials don't know what to do with the body of Adam Mayes, the man who shot himself to death after allegedly abducting two young Tennessee girls and killing their mother and oldest sister. A medical examiner said Mayes' family won't accept the remains.
Police believe Mayes killed Jo Ann Bain and her 14-year-old daughter, Adrienne Bain, in their home in Whiteville, Tenn., on April 27. Bain's two younger daughters were safely recovered after Mayes fatally shot himself when police tracked him down in Union County, Miss., on May 10.
Mark Golding, the medical examiner for Union County, told WMC-TV that Mayes' body is currently located in the state crime lab in Jackson, Miss., still unclaimed by his family.
"I do realize it's a terrible thing that has went on, but someone is going to have to step up to the plate and eventually do something with him," said Golding.
Mayes' brother told WMC-TV that he doesn't want the body. Mayes' wife and mother are behind bars in Hardeman County, Tenn. on charges related to the kidnapping and murders. Golding considered getting the family's permission to donate Mayes' body for research, but he said that has to be decided before a person dies.
Golding said that according to state law, the state lab will keep the body for six months before it goes back to Union County, where Mayes shot himself. The county will ultimately be responsible for the body, and may have to cremate it at a cost of about $900.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison