Robert Champion Hazing Death: 2nd Fla. A&M drummer reportedly beaten on same bus before Champion died
(CBS) ORLANDO, Fla. - A 21-year-old drummer in the Florida A&M marching band was severely beaten on the same day and on the same bus where drum major Robert Champion's deadly hazing occurred, the Orlando Sentinel reported on Thursday.
Requesta Harden told investigators that on Nov. 19, 2011 she was on Bus C outside a hotel in Orlando, where FAMU played football against its archrival. She said it was during the ride to the game when fellow percussionist and unofficial president of the drum bus, Dante Martin, tapped her on the shoulder and sent her to the back of the bus for a ritual known as the "hot seat," according to investigative documents released on Wednesday.
"In the hot seat, they put a blanket over my head and I was, like, in the crash position and then they start beating me," Harden told investigators.
Harden said she was hit with open hands, fists and drumsticks between 200 and 300 times, and that she "blacked out" at the stadium, fell against a band member and could not perform at the game. The Orlando Sentinel reported that she rode back to the hotel on a different bus because she was scared.
Martin, 25, faces a hazing charge in connection with Harden's alleged beating. He is also the 14th band member charged in connection to the homicide investigation into Champion's death.
Authorities say Champion died of injuries suffered in a hazing attack on the same bus after A&M's Nov. 19 game.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released