Joel Morales, 12-year-old NYC boy, commits suicide after bullying, family says
(CBS) - A 12-year-old Harlem boy was driven to suicide by bullies who taunted him about his height and intelligence, says the boy's family.
Joel Morales' mother says she found him hanging from a shower rod in the bathroom around 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, according to the New York Daily News.
The Daily News reports that Morales' friend says the 12-year-old said only hours be fore his death that he was tired of being bullied, according to Morales' aunt Angelica Babilonia. Relatives reportedly said the boy had been bullied for months before his death, even after he transfered schools.
Police say Morales did not leave a suicide note.
"I know in my heart it was bullying that made him do it," Morales' 23-year-old sister, Richeliss Salazar, told the Daily News.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home