Joel Morales, 12-year-old NYC boy, commits suicide after bullying, family says
(CBS) - A 12-year-old Harlem boy was driven to suicide by bullies who taunted him about his height and intelligence, says the boy's family.
Joel Morales' mother says she found him hanging from a shower rod in the bathroom around 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, according to the New York Daily News.
The Daily News reports that Morales' friend says the 12-year-old said only hours be fore his death that he was tired of being bullied, according to Morales' aunt Angelica Babilonia. Relatives reportedly said the boy had been bullied for months before his death, even after he transfered schools.
Police say Morales did not leave a suicide note.
"I know in my heart it was bullying that made him do it," Morales' 23-year-old sister, Richeliss Salazar, told the Daily News.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death