Pedro Hernandez, murder suspect in Etan Patz case, seen in mugshot
(CBS) NEW YORK - A mugshot of Pedro Hernandez, who was arrested last week and charged with second-degree murder in the 1979 disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz, has surfaced.
The 51-year-old Hernandez, of Maple Shade, N.J. , was arrested last week after the NYPD said he gave a lengthy confession in the notorious 33-year-old case that changed the way law enforcement - and the nation as a whole - regarded missing children cases.
Hernandez remains held at Bellevue psychiatric hospital for an ongoing assessment of his mental state.
He's been charged with second-degree murder.Complete coverage of the Etan Patz case on Crimesider
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence