Rudy Eugene, Fla. "face-chewer," called "quiet boy" by former neighbor
An officer came across the men on the MacArthur Causeway shortly after 2 p.m., when police responded to a 911 call about two naked men fighting on a bike path near the Miami Herald building.
The officer tried to stop the fight and ordered the assailant to stop chewing on the other man's face. When he refused to stop and reportedly turned toward the officers and growled, the officer fatally shot him. The medical examiner identified the dead man as 31-year old Rudy Eugene.
Eugene's victim, who has not been identified, is in critical condition at a hospital.
Eugene is believed to have been homeless. His last address is a home in North Miami Beach. The current residents said they didn't know Eugene, but neighbors remember him.
"The only thing I remember was he was a quiet boy," said Micheline Barret.
Barret said Eugene moved out several years ago, but she never forgot him the boy she used to give rides to when he needed it.
Eugene reportedly had several previous run-ins with police, mostly for drug related offenses, trespassing and resisting arrest without violence.
Ives Eugene, 55, told the Associated Press that he was Rudy Eugene's uncle, and described his nephew as a "nice and hard-working" man who washed cars at a local dealership.
In a telephone interview, Ives Eugene said his nephew had asked his girlfriend to borrow her car, but she said no.
"So he rode the bicycle, and he never came back home," Ives Eugene told the Associated Press.
Rudy Eugene's ex-wife declined to speak about her ex-husband or the alleged cannibal incident.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship