Rudy Eugene, Fla. "face-chewing" naked man, may have been high on bath salts, cop union president says
(CBS/WFOR) MIAMI - The naked man shot by police after being found eating another man's face may have been under the influence of an LSD-like drug called "bath salts," according to Armando Aguilar, the president of the Fraternal Order of Police, reports CBS Miami.
The suspected cannibal has been identified by the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner's officer as 31-year-old Rudy Eugene. Eugene may have been homeless at the time of the attack. His last known address was in North Miami.
Since news of the unthinkable attack first broke, the big question has been, why? Why did the man attack the other? Why were they naked? Why did the attacker turn into a cannibal on the causeway?
"We noticed an increase [in 'bath salts' incidents] probably after Ultra Fest," said emergency room Dr. Paul Adams, at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Ultra Fest is a music festival that played in Miami in late March.
In many of the cases, Dr. Adams said the person's temperature has risen to an extremely high level and they've become very aggressive. Some have used their jaws as a weapon during attacks. Dr. Adams said the patients were in a state of delirium.
"Extremely strong, I took care of a 150 pound individual who you would have thought he was 250 pounds," Dr. Adams said. "It took six security officers to restrain the individual."
Adams said the extreme strength and violence of patients on "bath salts" has become a significant threat to all those charged with the task of trying to help those high on the drug.
"It's dangerous for the police," Adams said. "It's dangerous for the fire fighters. It's dangers for the hospital workers taking care of them because they come in, they have to be restrained both chemically and physically and you're asking for someone to get hurt."
Aguilar said drug dealers aren't aware that the liability could fall back on them.
"I have a message for whoever is selling it out there," said Aguilar. "You can be arrested for murder if you are selling this LSD to people, unsuspecting people on the street and somebody ends up dying as a result you will be charged with murder."
More on Crimesider
May 29, 2012: Rudy Eugene, identified as 'face-chewing' naked man, fatally shot by cops on Fla. highway
May 28, 2012 - Naked attacker on Miami highway was chewing man's face, says witness
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call