Rudy Eugene identified as 'face-chewing' naked man fatally shot by cops on Fla. highway
(CBS/AP) MIAMI - Police in Florida have identified the naked man who they say officers fatally shot after he refused to stop eating another naked man's face on a downtown Miami highway ramp.
Officials are now looking for more witnesses to fill in the blanks on what led to the grisly scene in which a witness reported that a man - identified as Rudy Eugene, 31 - savagely chewed on another man's face and growled when an officer kept telling him to stop.
"We know that there were many people on the MacArthur Causeway and we're hoping they come forward," Detective William Moreno told The Miami Herald on Monday.
Witness Larry Vega was riding his bicycle Saturday afternoon off the MacArthur Causeway that connects downtown Miami with Miami Beach when he saw the savage attack.
"The guy was, like, tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" Vega told Miami television station WSVN. "The guy just kept eating the other guy away, like, ripping his skin."
Vega flagged down a Miami police officer, who he said repeatedly ordered the attacker to get off the victim. The attacker just picked his head up and growled at the officer, Vega said. As the attack continued, Vega said the officer shot the attacker, who continued chewing the victim's face. The officer fired again, killing the attacker.
A surveillance video camera from The Miami Herald building nearby captured images of the men's naked legs lying side by side after the shooting.
"It was just a blob of blood," Vega said. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."
Miami police have released few details about the weekend attack, other than confirming that there was a fatal officer-involved shooting. The victim of the bizarre attack, who has not been identified, was hospitalized in critical condition.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web